Work Permits for Students

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases it is a two-step process, the minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit to the school local to the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).


California Work Permit

Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age CDE Form B1-1(DOC).

COVID19 Instructions

Please print the CDE Form B1-1 and fill it out completely, including signatures. Please include your student ID in the upper right-hand corner of the form. 
Mail it to Nevada Union High School, 11761 Ridge Road, Grass Valley, CA 95949
Once the work permit has been generated you will be contacted by the school. 
Inquiries regarding work permits may be directed to the Registrars at x 2002 and 2010. Please leave a message including your Student ID and the spelling of your name.