Minors employed in the State of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases it is a two-step process. The minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit to the school of enrollment. The school reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).
California Work Permit
Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age 
Please make sure the entire permit application is completed before turning it in. After the permit is processed, it will need to be signed by the student and taken to the employer.